Thursday, December 8, 2011

What are the major differences between a public and a private high school in the USA


What are the major differences between a public and a private high school in the USA?
I'll go to the USA to do the 12th grade (I'm Portuguese) and my family want to place me in a Private Day School but I'm kinda concerned! I'd like to know if the private and the public high schools are pretty much the same. We see schools in the movies (with the lockers in the corridors, the little cliques and the lunch tables and the prom) and I'd like to know if private schools have all that or if it is only fiction. Oh yeah, and I'd like to know if we gotta pay the extracurricular activities (in portugal you dont!)
Primary & Secondary Education - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
it depends it may be diff. or not
2 :
Depends where you live really . Some mostly or almost all private schools have Prom . Its something you cant miss before graduation. I would say yes they would have those things you see in the movies. lol . Though it might be rather different depending on what the school is like and where you live . My school is quite small so there wont be as much lockers around hehehe
3 :
In Private school you have to pay and wear uniform, while public school doesn't require you to pay or wear uniform =))))))
4 :
It really depends on the school! Public and private can be similar, usually the environment at private schools is nicer. The advantage to private school for you will likely be that the school will be much smaller than a public school and you will get more individualized attention, the teachers may even tutor after school. (They do at my son's private high school.) This may be good for you since you are coming from another country and may need a little extra help. (But your English is excellent.) It depends on the school if you have to pay for extracurricular activities. My niece attended public high school and she had to pay for her cheerleading expenses, over $1000 for uniform, competition fees, transportation, etc, each year. It may be difficult to be admitted to a good private high school for 12th grade, unless you are currently in a similar school. But it's worth a try. Good luck!
Read more discussion :