Thursday, April 1, 2010

Are schools in the USA assigning math homework over the holiday break


Are schools in the USA assigning math homework over the holiday break?
I like reading through the questions, but it surprised me how many grade school, high school and college math assignment questions seem to be here yesterday and today. I know not everyone celebrates Christmas, but it's just puzzling to me. When I was in school and college, we didn't do assignments over the breaks. Has that all changed these days?
Mathematics - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know about the USA, but I'm a retired Canadian teacher and once the departmentals (provincial wide) came in, you can bet your socks I assigned things to be done over any holiday. Holiday time is time for review and refining skills; exams for average and below average students are a nightmare and it comes down to 3 hours (maybe 3-1/2 under certain circumstances). Those #$%$$$# exams certainly changed teaching styles; indeed they ended a great many things that made good teachers better and average students able to do the work. Now the object is to see how many tricky questions can be put on an exam and what how to write one where the bell curve is king and its apex is at 63.5. True facts. Edit ==== That 63.5 cost the Alberta government and its citizens 10 million dollars a term. Think what could be done with that in the classroom.
2 :
My (USA private) highschool used to have finals after the so-called break; so you were almost forced into studying during your so called vacation. It is not common practice. Most people just get 2 weeks off.
3 :
I've been wondering about that too, but the other persons who've answered made some sense of the situation. There's less questions than usual though. I like answering the ones which haven't been answered in over a day, and there's very few of those lately.
4 :
well it depends on which county you are in because i live in shelby county and someone else lives in a different one and they have homework
Read more discussion :